Friday 7 August 2009

Fishermens Gifts

Having attended another wonderful Fishbone private view, we were invited to Judy's for the 'after show' drinks, this was earlier than usual as we were Jeff-less, he was posted to London on work detail but the reports were that he was attending a Bach recital in return for his good behavior!


After we had settled in to our seats and the red wine was passed round to top our glasses, Judy passed me a rather well presented magazine, she relayed the story of Jeff spending £6.00 on said glossy fishing magazine and him saying he was "buying it for Kev". This magazine was a specimen fishing edition with tips on how to catch the biggest and best examples of the most common of course fish. I think the 'buying it for Kev' was man code for justifying the purchase of a item you want to read - but cost a bit more than your usual spend, but it reminded me of how I received several bits of fishing tackle from various anglers when I was growing up and finding my feet in this fishy endeavor.

The exchanging of gifts is a bonding process - just like the exchange of knowledge with tips on swims and techniques. I was instructed in my technique from various people including my dad, Paul Derry and Bill Allen amongst others. These guys 'taught me all I know' and also kitted me out with advice on purchases and with hand-me-downs gems to get me on my way (which I still use today). These guys were mere men in the daily humdrum of life, but seen as intellectual scholars or gods to me starting out in my piscatorial ways.

This gives us anglers a bond which goes further than friendship, it's more elemental, from the soul - a passage to manhood (or ladyhood). You can speak to total strangers bank side knowing there is no hidden agenda, no threat of physical violence (well I hope not), we're in it together - united as one!

Kev

1 comment:

  1. Kev...and on a tip from yourself bought both fishing books from Oxfam written by 'Faddist' negotiated a deal - Jeff very happy, he quickly abandoned any romantic thoughts...for the books - at least i know what his priorities are...( as if I didn't know before :-)

    ReplyDelete