Wednesday 21 July 2010

Remembering your lines!

I noticed during my last fishing session that my reel line is getting a little tired and needs to be replaced. I normally carry two reels in my bag, a DAM 'coffee grinder' closed faced reel with Drennan 4.4lb float fish line and a Ryobi open faced reel with Maxima 8lb line. These particular brands were an automatic choice for me as they were what I used in my formative piscatorial years. However I wanted to take this opportunity to open the discussion to the blogging community for any recommendations or suggestions.

Has line technology improved over the last 15 years? Are the older lines still popular due to the fishing community being stuck in their ways or doe the old adage stand true - if it ain't broke don't fix it?

I am being torn between Daiwa Sensor and the Maxima for my ledgering requirements - does anyone currently use this?

Your comments will be most welcome!

Kev

6 comments:

  1. Don't overlook braid when it comes to tip fishing Kev'.

    A squirrel fart at forty yards will register as a pull round on the tip - virtually no stretch in it at all you see.

    It's also very thin for it's strength which is good on a rvier as it is less affected by the flow.

    Would be worth buying a spool from ebay for your spare spool. You might take to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a bit old school and have been a Maxima user for several years. I used to use Bayer Perlon, but switched to Maxima for the lower diameters, e.g. 0.2mm Maxima is 5lb, but the same diameter in Bayer is 4.4lb. I've always found it a reliable all round line at a fair price and I haven't seen anything in the same price range to make me consider a change. Mind you, I probably don't catch enough fish to really test a line out!

    I agree with Jeff on the braid. It feels a bit weird at first, but you see the benefits with the improved bite registration. Expensive, but worth a look if you fish on the tip a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never mind Jeff Brian... I'm Keith!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Has anyone come across a decent article on fishing line at all? The articles in magazines always tend to be selling a particular brand rather than giving direct like for like comparisons - well the ones I have managed to find that is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is you know, always has been...!

    Sensor is great for mainline Kev, because it's dirt cheap, you get twice as much of it on the spool for the same price as other brands, doesn't take to line twist easily, and it's bullet proof.

    I use 3lb BS mainline for float fishing for maximum distance and line pickup, and 4lb for ledgering, only going up to 8lb where barbel or carp can be expected.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I took the plunge for the Sensor 4lb and 8lb for legering, I also picked up some Drennan 4.4lb for my closed faced reel - thought that as I'm refining my waggler technique I might pick up a better fish and wanted a fighting chance!

    ReplyDelete