Thursday 5 August 2010

Reels

Fixed Spool Reels:

Ryobi Target XR350.

This is my main reel for feeder fishing, it has a mammoth capacity taking over 350 yards of 15 lb line. I use 4 lb line with plenty of 8 lb backing line. This is fantastic for distance casting and has a rear drag system.

 

Abu Garcia Enticer.

This is a new addition and yet unused addition to my kit. I wanted a second spool for the Ryobi but with a price tag of over £20 I opted for a secondhand reel (which actually came with a spare spool). Not as well constructed as the Ryobi however the rear drag is more robust. Fitted out with 4 and 8 lb lines.


Closed Faced Reels:

DAM Quick CFM

Given to me by one of my fishing mentors in my early escapades, this reel has served me well and worked perfectly even after 15 years of being sat in the shed. Made in West Germany indicates its age but those Germans certainly know how to build a quality product! This lives up to its nickname of 'the coffee grinder' with its distinctive noise made from its geared innards. I can't fault it! Loaded with 4.4 lb Drennan float line


Abu 501

I haven't pictured this as I need to drop it back to my Dad so he can start to enjoy his retirement. A quality little Abu closed faced reel - need I say more?

2 comments:

  1. Update for the Ryobi spool - I think that Masterline may have bought out Ryobi at some point as they have an identical model number/name reel in their range. I found a shop in Yorkshire that stocked the spool and for £5 I thought I'd give it a go!

    Funny thing is that my post is the only other hit on google for the Ryobi Target XR350!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New spool sorted from Jackson's fishing supplies - secure checkout using paypal - spool to me within 2 days!

    http://jackfish.net/index.html

    ReplyDelete